What would happen if you let God challenge you...?

Monday, November 29

Look Through a Window
(Otherwise Known as Challenge #2)

Tonight on my way to JV, I had an interesting experience. As we were stopped at an intersection, I looked to the house on my right, and there, framed like a portrait in a gallery, were two young men washing dishes. You might not think anything special of that, but it got me thinking. Most houses you wouldn't see something like this--okay, besides the fact that a lot of guys that age wouldn't be washing dishes--because on most houses nowadays, there are curtains pulled firmly across the windows, especially at night on a ground floor room with people right in front of the window. But at this house, light spilled out of those windows, and the curains of other rooms were also wide open. Of course there's a need for privacy, but I never really noticed how uninviting this makes a house look until I saw the opposite.
Looking at those young men, I was amazed. They weren't just standing around with bored looks trying to get the washing done quickly. They appeared to be thoroughly enjoying their task, and going to it with a careful attitude. I loved seeing that. It was so neat to see such a 'mundane' task treated with reverence, respect and even joy. Made me want to knock on their door and get to know them.
It intrigued me, this gimpse into their world. As we continued to drive, I looked to see what I could see inside the lives of others. Here was a house with the start of Christmas lights glowing through the curtain sheers. There was a sliver of a room furnished with the normal chairs and coffee table. One house made me chuckle as one window opened into a slightly chaotic scene with many plants, and another two windows were 'curtained' with material that could have been used for a sarong. Brightly patterned, and glowing with the light behind them.
What are these people like? What is their point of view? Do they know God? Why are they happy? Why did they use that patterned cloth, did they need cheering up? Are there children preparing for Christmas? So many questions.
So. The Challenge for you and I, this week, this month, this time, is to look through at least one, maybe three, peoples' windows, and think about what you see. It doesn't have to be a real window, in fact, it may be preferable if it's not, but take a look around you and take note of the open windows. If someone around you is in pain, find out if you can help. If you don't know someone very well, ask for their story. Put yourself on their side of the glass, and take a look at the world through their eyes. That's my Challenge to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home